Moving is a big decision, and often feels like it’s out of your control. From estimates to packing supplies, it can feel like there are a million things to take into account when making that big move. But there are some things you can do to make the process easier and reduce the cost of your move.
In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the most common hidden moving costs and how to avoid them. From hidden rental fees to hidden packing supplies, read on to learn everything you need to know before making your big move.
What are Some of the Common Moving Costs?
Moving is one of the most stressful things a person can do, and it can also be one of the most expensive. Here are some of the common moving costs and how to avoid them:
- Storage fees: When you move, make sure to calculate the cost of storing your belongings while you’re away. This can vary depending on your location, but expect to pay anywhere from $10-50 per month. If you’re able to pack and ship your belongings, this cost may be eliminated altogether.
- Custom paperwork: Most states require that you fill out specific forms when you move. This includes information like your name and address change, as well as copies of all your ID documents. Make sure to have all the necessary paperwork ready before you start packing!
- Transportation costs: Moving yourself is one thing, but transporting your belongings is another story entirely. You’ll likely need to hire a truck or van to transport everything from your old home to your new place, and this will likely cost around $200-$800 per truckload or vanload. Factor this cost into your overall budget when calculating moving costs.
How Can You Avoid Paying Unnecessary Moving Costs?
Moving can be a costly and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. By following these tips, you can avoid paying unnecessary moving costs:
- Compare estimates: Before you hire a professional mover, take the time to compare different estimates. This will help you get an idea of how much moving costs will actually be.
- Pre-pack your belongings: If you’re able to pack your belongings yourself, do so in advance of the move date. This will save on shipping and storage costs.
- Make sure your possessions are properly packed and labeled: Don’t forget to label boxes with the contents and the date they were packed. This will help ensure that everything arrives at its new destination intact.
- Use online tools: There are many online tools available that can help estimate the cost of moving and track your belongings as they move through the system. These tools can also provide useful information about local movers and storage options near you.
Tips for a Smooth Transition
- Get all the details about your relocation in writing. This will help to avoid any potential misunderstandings or delays.
- Plan your move carefully. Make sure you have a good estimate of all the costs involved, including moving, packing, and shipping supplies, parking fees, and meals while you’re away.
- Avoid last-minute stacked moves. If you can, plan your trip well in advance to minimize disruption in your life while you’re away.
- Let friends and family know what’s happening – it’ll make the transition a lot smoother for everyone involved!
- Stay connected with your new home – take photos, document any changes (or lack thereof), and share them with family and friends so they can get an idea of what your new place looks like.
We hope that our tips will help make your move as smooth and painless as possible!